Nick Land has finished his long series, Dark Enlightment. It was fascinating to find in an obscure chinese expat site a middle aged Philosophy lecturer writing what effectively was a summary of Moldbug's blog, with a slight touch of cyberpunk.
Of course the most interesting part in this series is that it has an ending. Which means it reaches a conclusion. In the last post before this one, his 4e, he advances how he sees the future unfolding. He basically sees three possibilities:
- Utter collapse (Postmodernism)
- Chinese takeover (Modernity 2.0)
- A miracle (Western Renaissance)
His bet is on a Chinese takeover (and he walks the walk living in Shanghai), because a Western renaissance is really unlikely. Not that it is hard, in fact one can easily come up with a handful of policies that would make any Western polity become earthly paradise. As he puts it:
(1) Replacement of representational democracy by constitutional republicanism (or still more extreme anti-political governmental mechanisms).
(2) Massive downsizing of gover...